This project is read-only.

Better User Experience - tips to improve OpenDBDiff

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:26 AM
Hello and good day for everybody

First all sorry by my english

I hope this "Discussion" get yours(everybody) opinions too

The idea is to bring the creator of these great project tips to create a big huge software with a greate user experience

These are my "tips" to get a better user experience

1: Get a button to rapidly swicht the destination of comparison something like and image with and arrow indicating the direction , so with a simple click change the comparison result
2: Get a slider so when the comparison besgins the connection data hide and only show two icons with  the name of the server\database and in the middle or between of both and arrow with direction of comparison
3: Under tab "Schema" in the main view after we choose the object to wacth from the left tree , i think is needed a two colum view showing the source and the target differences visually , NO DDL , but have a DDL option is interesting too
4: Get and slide between the tree view and the main view  so when i choose an object the tree view collapse and show the differences in a wide area , but this slide with a "nail"(i dond´t know the name in english , sorry) to keep the tree view fixed so if whe click this nails the tree view will always showing otherwise it will be hide

5: ERROR CONTROL ON THE SYNCRONIZED SCRIPT an this must be the first to implement i mean to have a begin commit transaction so if an error appears the operation get rollback

These are my tips for now ;)

I hope you guys contribute to this list

With no more....
Bye bye

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM
6: Checkbox on every element so we can select wich objects syncronize , and of course a click-able element to mark ALL objects , so in the syncronized script will only apper the selected element , also i dont now now , y i choose an element check if it depends on other and then show an alert explaining wich elements are, only if that elements have to be changed

with no more....
bye bye
Nov 24, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I came here to post a suggestion and found it here in #6: being able to select which changes to apply rather than cut/delete from the generated script.

CA (computer associates) has a tool called ERwin with a similar feature. I'm sure you could do a better job at it. There's is very noisy.

Thanks!