This project is read-only.

Open DBDiff - Beta 7. Is not working for me either

Apr 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2009 at 3:34 PM
This is a great application! Thanks for making it available for the masses.
I have an observation regarding Beta 7. Every time I try to run it, it encounters a problem and needs to close. (It fails to open).
I'll stay on Beta 6, while our friends fix this.

Thanks again for your excellent work.

As a matter of fact, I downloaded the code to see if I could find the problem and, when compiling, I got the following messages:
==>>
Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Ascend' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\DBDiff.Schema.SQLServer2005\Front\SqlServerConnectFront.Designer.cs 230 17 DBDiff.Schema.SQLServer

Error 2 The type or namespace name 'Ascend' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\DBDiff\Front\ProgressForm.Designer.cs 120 17 DBDiff

Error 3 The type or namespace name 'Ascend' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\DBDiff\Front\PrincipalForm.Designer.cs 549 17 DBDiff

Error 4 The type or namespace name 'Ascend' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\DBDiff\Front\PrincipalForm.Designer.cs 550 17 DBDiff

Warning 5 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Ascend, Version=1.0.0.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=25c7a393ba3f37cd, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. DBDiff
Warning 6 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Ascend.Windows.Forms, Version=1.0.0.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ecd86ece2d3eb46d, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. DBDiff
Warning 7 The referenced component 'Ascend' could not be found.  
Warning 8 The referenced component 'Ascend.Windows.Forms' could not be found.  
Warning 9 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Ascend, Version=1.0.0.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=25c7a393ba3f37cd". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. DBDiff.Schema.SQLServer
Warning 10 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Ascend.Windows.Forms, Version=1.0.0.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ecd86ece2d3eb46d". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. DBDiff.Schema.SQLServer
Warning 11 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Ascend.Resources, Version=1.0.0.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9c9aecb37b1e03b6". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. DBDiff.Schema.SQLServer
Warning 12 The referenced component 'Ascend' could not be found.  
Warning 13 The referenced component 'Ascend.Resources' could not be found.  
Warning 14 The referenced component 'Ascend.Windows.Forms' could not be found.  

Error 15 The type or namespace name 'Ascend' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\DBDiff\Front\ProgressForm.Designer.cs 31 39 DBDiff

Warning 16 The variable 'ex' is declared but never used C:\DBDiff.Schema.SQLServer2005\Model\UserDataType.cs 369 30 DBDiff.Schema.SQLServer
<<==

Hope this helps

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:22 PM
Could you install package and tell me if can't compile?

http://ascendnet.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=317#ReleaseFiles

Thanks!
Apr 17, 2009 at 1:19 AM
Edited Apr 17, 2009 at 1:48 AM
I installed the package as you suggested. I attempted to compiled it, and it did compile. But then, I attempted to run it. It broke with thew following message:

======>>>>>
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception was unhandled
  Message="Window class name is not valid."
  Source="System.Windows.Forms"
  ErrorCode=-2147467259
  NativeErrorCode=0
  StackTrace:
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WindowClass.RegisterClass()
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WindowClass.Create(String className, Int32 classStyle)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(CreateParams cp)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla.ScintillaNet.INativeScintilla.SendMessageDirect(UInt32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) in C:\opendbdiff.Code\DBDiff.Scintilla NET-2.0\ScintillaNET\ScintillaContro.INativeScintilla.cs:line 25
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla.ScintillaNet.INativeScintilla.SendMessageDirect(UInt32 msg, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam) in C:\opendbdiff.Code\DBDiff.Scintilla NET-2.0\ScintillaNET\ScintillaContro.INativeScintilla.cs:line 71
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla.ScintillaNet.INativeScintilla.GetCodePage() in C:\opendbdiff.Code\DBDiff.Scintilla NET-2.0\ScintillaNET\ScintillaContro.INativeScintilla.cs:line 1557
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla..ctor(String sciLexerDllName) in C:\opendbdiff.Code\DBDiff.Scintilla NET-2.0\ScintillaNET\ScintillaControl.cs:line 44
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla..ctor() in C:\opendbdiff.Code\DBDiff.Scintilla NET-2.0\ScintillaNET\ScintillaControl.cs:line 33
       at DBDiff.Form1.InitializeComponent() in C:\opendbdiff.Code\DBDiff\Front\PrincipalForm.Designer.cs:line 37
       at DBDiff.Form1..ctor() in C:\opendbdiff.Code\DBDiff\Front\PrincipalForm.cs:line 40
       at DBDiff.Program.Main() in C:\opendbdiff.Code\DBDiff\Program.cs:line 17
       at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
       at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
  InnerException:
<<<<<<<===================

To find out where the exception was occurring, I ran the application again using the debugger (you know, F5 in Visual Studio). The line of code the application hits the exception is:

public partial class Scintilla 
 {
  // This file contains all the implementation of INativeScintilla
  #region SendMessageDirect (9 Overloads)
  /// <summary>
  /// This is the primary Native communication method with Scintilla
  /// used by this control. All the other overloads call into this one.
  /// </summary>
  IntPtr INativeScintilla.SendMessageDirect(uint msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
  {
   if (!this.IsDisposed)
   {
    Message m = new Message();
    m.Msg = (int)msg;
    m.WParam = wParam;
    m.LParam = lParam;
    m.HWnd = Handle; <<==================== Here! The application throws the error here.

I did not try to fix anything. I just wanted to show you my findings.

By the way, I forgot to mention: The solution (as downloaded) has as startup project the "DBDiff" project...

I hope this helps you.
Best Regards.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:28 PM
mmm, what S.O. do you have?

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:14 PM
XP Professional; SP3. To be more precise, and taking the info from System Properties windows (when right-clicking My Computer):

XP Professional; Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

Regarding the error, I'm sure this is the error happening when trying to run the application from its icon on the desktop... I mean, every time I try to run the application double-clicking the icon the installer placed on my desktop, I get a run time error. The only symptom that I see is the "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" window. You know, the "send report to Microsoft" window. When I click the "What data does this report contain" link on the window, the following is part of it:

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : dbdiff.exe     P2 : 1.0.0.0     P3 : 49c9870d    
P4 : system.windows.forms     P5 : 2.0.0.0     P6 : 4889dee7     P7 : 16e9    
P8 : e4     P9 : system.componentmodel.win32

As always, I hope this keeps helping.
Regards

By the way, Grimpi. Am I missing something else? (I'm not sure since from the very first time, when I only downloaded the .msi, I'm getting the runtime error that does not allow the application to run.)
Apr 20, 2009 at 3:31 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM

FYI I cannot run Beta7, it crashes immediately. I have downloaded & uncompressed the binary package to try, but can reproduce this with the installer package also.

Here's what I've been able to capture, Windows XP, SP2

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception was unhandled
  Message="Window class name is not valid."
  Source="System.Windows.Forms"
  ErrorCode=-2147467259
  NativeErrorCode=126
  StackTrace:
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WindowClass.RegisterClass()
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WindowClass.Create(String className, Int32 classStyle)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(CreateParams cp)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla.ScintillaNet.INativeScintilla.SendMessageDirect(UInt32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla.ScintillaNet.INativeScintilla.SendMessageDirect(UInt32 msg, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla.ScintillaNet.INativeScintilla.GetCodePage()
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla..ctor(String sciLexerDllName)
       at ScintillaNet.Scintilla..ctor()
       at DBDiff.Form1.InitializeComponent()
       at DBDiff.Form1..ctor()
       at DBDiff.Program.Main()
  InnerException:

HTH,
Oliver

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM
People, I think I know what happens.
The SciLexer.dll was missing.

Try download the file binaries.rar again (I updated the file) and let me knows if it's works.

Thanks!
Apr 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM
Good news! Now it runs!
After downloading the binaries.rar again, as you suggested, the application showed -at last- its user interface. :-)

Congratulations and thanks again for your work.
May 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM
grimpi,

It runs for me also, after downloading Binaries.rar
Thanks for the work you put in this, the new UI is nice, and Beta 7 fixes an issue I had with Beta 6 (sp comparison would crash)

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Pending patch 6463 (download) solves a similar issue with SQLlite for both 32-bit and 64-bit users.

After this patch, Open DBDiff will build as a 32-bit project which should be compatible with 64-bit machines. This workaround was proposed by CodePlex user teleyah on workitem 9565. For your convenience, updated binaries are included in the patch alongside the updated src.zip.

Related Work Items:

• 10571 - Open DBDiff has stopped working
  • 9565 - Program immediately crashes when opened
  • 9527 - BadImageFormatException was unhandled

The updated projects reference the following assemblies from the Open DBDiff 0.8.5 release (also in the patch's binaries folder) from the solution root:

• Ascend.dll
  • Ascend.Resources.dll
  • Ascend.Windows.Forms.dll
  • DBDiff.SciLexer32.dll
  • System.Data.SQLite.Dll