Update Item

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I'm new to this software and can't find any documentation so I apologize for the stupid question...but what exactly is "Update Item" button supposed to do? I'm trying to update a function on the destination side, but all it does is refresh the session? Nothing seems to get updated....?

Thanks,

Erik

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Hi Erik,

The update functionality is new, but the intention is for it to update the selected items in the destination database. I will look into it.

I was disappointed to see that you had problems running the synchronization script; perhaps this issue is related. This tool has pretty good support for the most commonly used of database features but has not been pushed much beyond that. It sounds like it would be a good idea to wrap the script in a transaction to make sure your experience doesn't happen to anyone else. If you have any other ideas or input please let me know.

Thank you for taking the time to check out the project; I hope it will be more useful to you soon!

Edited to add: first, without documentation, it's hard to call any question stupid! Second, I think your question would be reasonable from any perspective. So once again, thanks for asking.

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Sep 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The Database I tried it out on is a monster… It probably works fine on less complex beasts. I’ll definitely continue to use and test as more features roll out and help if and where I can!

A couple suggestions:

1. Rename the tabs Source Object and destination Object

2. If the destination needs to be altered in order to match the source, display the alter statement instead of Create statement so user can just copy and paste to perform the alter manually

3. Highlight the lines that are different a la winmerge

4. After hitting the Update Item button… whether I cancel or proceed… prompt the user before performing the compare all over again. This is a PITA on a big database!!!

Thanks for your efforts… I’ve been using this all day to Diff some monster databases and even with the glitches it’s a great help!

-Erik

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:59 AM
To: erik.barcza@uplandcg.com
Subject: Re: Update Item [OpenDBiff:395336]

Hi Erik,

The update functionality is new, but the intention is for it to update the selected items in the destination database. I will look into it.

I was disappointed to see that you had problems running the synchronization script; perhaps this issue is related. This tool has pretty good support for the most commonly used of database features but has not been pushed much beyond that. It sounds like it would be a good idea to wrap the script in a transaction to make sure your experience doesn't happen to anyone else. If you have any other ideas or input please let me know.

Thank you for taking the time to check out the project; I hope it will be more useful to you soon!