Ideas and thoughts

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM
First, just an awesome and outstanding application! An Open Source tool like this has been needed for may years. It is simple, elegant and straight forward.

That said, I think to feature that are necessary in this kind of tool are missing:
  1. Some type of visual representation of the schema differences would help. Especially when you are trying to work with Project Managers, Clients and even some Developers to get them to understand concepts and issues.
  2. The ability to print out schema difference, either from the above suggestion or from a text format. This would help again for the same reasons as stated above.
Really and awesome job and I know there was a lot of time and effort put in to this great tool! Please keep up the awesome job and thanks again!!

Fred Stemp
DBA at SIU
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Thanks for sharing your ideas Fred.

I have added a page listing alternatives which should help you find something you can move forward with right away.

Almost all of the commercial tools have a trial version; in particular don't miss MSSQL.SchemaDiff (free) and sql-dbdiff (an older fork of Open DBDiff which added a Visual Diff tab).