This project is read-only.

Plans using version control?

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Hi,

are you planing to use the integrated source control system?

regards

Christian

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:32 AM

As a new developer on the project, my first task has been pushing all the source code drops into CodePlex source control.

I am still working out the best way to make sure everything is useful; CodePlex did not support read-only TFS access last I heard, but the solution is currently linked via TFS because of the integrated work item tracking. I will probably wind up changing the default solution to use SVN and then creating a separate solution file for TFS. (This should allow use of the same project files, I hope.)

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Hardwiring version control into the solution messes up contributors. You can not assume that all your contributors have TFS. Or any other particular client implementation. Tortoise Svn is good because it does not assume everyone have use it. If somebody prefers integrated, fine, command line, fine too.

It would be better to switch to Mercurial which provides "social coding" workflow. Your contributors have their own repositories  and inform you when some useful patch is ready, you review it and pull into your repo. Everything is just a couple of yes/no clicks. It stimulates contribution because sending svn patches sucks big time and if patch is small enough, like syntax typo, I won't even bother sending it.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:35 AM

Thank you for sharing your perspective on the source control configuration. I am taking incremental steps here; I hope to have more time to devote to the project soon. I am open to any recommendations you can share regarding how to configure multiple source control providers in a manner that keeps metadata changes from having to be made in multiple places.

As you can see above I agree that the TFS source control binding is a hinderance. This is especially true since Codeplex does not allow read-only TFS access. I do plan to switch the default project bindings to the Codeplex SVN.

I do not have as much experience as I should with any distributed VCS. My end-game for the source control portion of this project is probably going to be separate places on other hosting sites (BitBucket/Google Code for Mercurial; GitHub) where people can also submit patches. Of course there wouldn't be much point to sticking around Codeplex at that point but we'll see what happens when things get that far.

I would actually like to incorporate some things within the project itself encouraging developers to submit fixes to problems, particularly the SQL portions since they don't have to be compiled.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts on the project... I hope you have found it beneficial!